Invisalign Braces in London Waterloo
Braces treatment to straighten your teeth are increasingly popular with adult patients in London. At Whites Dental, our cosmetic dentists can help you to improve your smile with the use of various brace options including fixed braces and Invisalign invisible braces. If you think you could benefit from straightening your teeth with braces, why not book a complementary consultation with one of our braces dentists. We are conveniently located in London Waterloo.
If you are considering between braces and Invisalign to straighten your teeth, you may have lots of questions. Which is more effective? Which if more affordable? Ultimately, you want to choose the treatment that will do the job, even if it is slightly more expensive. In the long run, you don’t want to have to fix your teeth again! So, which one is a better choice for you- Invisalign or metal braces?
Here at Whites Dental, we believe patient education should play a major role in the treatment process. With that in mind, we design treatment plans that are unique for each patient we see – one that keeps you informed and works for you and your lifestyle.
The good thing about orthodontic dental treatments that use braces or Invisalign is that they are both designed to straighten teeth while improving your smile and overall oral health. Let’s start by going back to basics and explain the difference between traditional metal braces and Invisalign, so you can be one step closer to that smile you’ve always dreamed of having!
Braces consist of metal brackets that are attached (glued) to your teeth and tied together by wires and tiny rubber bands. Nowadays, you can get brackets to more closely match your enamel colour (making them more discrete). Invisalign, like its name suggest is designed to be invisible. They are smooth, comfortable aligner trays worn over your teeth to move them subtly and gently. Your dentist will take impressions of your teeth and send it to the Invisalign laboratory to create a precise 3-D image of your teeth and configure your aligner trays accordingly.
Benefits of Metal Braces
It’s best to consider a list of what makes metal braces a good option depending on your case.
- Irremovable: Metal braces will stay in place, which is good for patients who are worried about losing their trays, or don’t want to have to change their trays out frequently.
- Treatment time: Because you cannot remove the metal braces, the treatment time can often be much quicker than Invisalign depending on what the patient needs. They are worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and typically stay on for about 2 years for most patients. There is also less temptation to take the braces off if they can’t be removed, which is good for patients that lack self-discipline.
- Cleaning: Cleaning teeth with metal braces is generally easier as it just requires regular brushing and flossing, just like you would without them.
- Follow up visits: Generally, you should visit orthodontist every month for a check-up. This is where your orthodontist will see how your teeth are shifting and may adjust the wires accordingly.
- Cost: The price of metal braces ranges patient to patient. Generally patients can expect to spend anywhere from £1500 to £3000 to straighten their teeth with metal braces
- After-care: Once you’ve completed your treatment, it’s important to keep all that hard work intact. A positioner or retainer is used to keep the teeth in form and is usually worn every night.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Removable: One of the biggest benefits to having Invisalign as a treatment option is that the trays can be removed, allowing you to eat and drink without getting food stuck.
- Appearance: Most patients tend to prefer Invisalign because the trays are clear. This can be great for adults who have been wanting to straighten their teeth for a while but have hesitated due to the appearance of having metal braces at an older age. With Invisalign, many people may not even notice when a patient is wearing them. Your treatment is a secret!
- Comfort: The Invisalign treatment can be a bit more comfortable than metal braces, as there are no brackets that can create sores in your mouth.
- Treatment time: Invisalign should be worn about 22-24 hours a day for 6 to 18 months. This will also depend on the patient’s needs and if patients have more complex dental issues metal braces may be a better option.
- Cost: Invisalign ranges between £1500 to £3500 in Central London.
- Cleaning: You can clean Invisalign trays with an Invisalign cleaning system, or by brushing and rinsing the trays in luke-warm water. This should be done after you eat or drink anything besides water, and at morning and night.
- Follow up visits: Different trays will keep your teeth moving at a gradual pace, and you should typically change the trays every 2 weeks. Visiting your dentist or orthodontist should happen every 4 to 6 weeks.
Comparing these two treatment options can be tough, as there are both positives and downsides for each. The decision for metal braces or Invisalign really comes down to you, the patient. Each patient’s needs and preferences are unique and special. If the appearance of metal braces has been holding you back from a straighter smile, Invisalign could be a great option. This is especially true for teens that are perhaps self-conscious of wearing braces, or adults that need them later in life. Invisalign is often used for adults who didn’t maintain their smile with a retainer when they had braces as a teen, or never got the chance to straighten their teeth to begin with.
However, metal braces can be a great option as there is less of a worry for self-discipline. With this kind of treatment, patients can straighten their teeth without the inconvenience of changing and cleaning trays frequently. The success rate of Invisalign is largely dependent on the patient themselves. If you do not wear the trays, straightening will occur much more slowly, if at all! Metal braces may also be the only option in some cases. If the issues with your teeth are much more complex and need to be moved a particular way, Invisalign may not be an option.
Ultimately, whichever treatment option you choose is not just about improving your smile but improving your overall oral health. This decision should not be taken lightly, so it’s important to find a good dental practice who is experienced with both braces and Invisalign. They will recommend which method will best perfect your smile and teeth. Our team here at Whites Dental has years of experience working with both braces and Invisalign, and we will make sure you’re an active partner in any treatment plan we design.
If you are considering using braces treatment to straighten your teeth and smile, you can get more information on our Invisalign braces page – https://www.whitesdental.co.uk/dental-invisalign/
At Whites Dental, our dentists provide a range of braces treatments including Invisalign braces to men and women in London.